Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Chorus: Broken Voices

I brought the long haul down with me
 as I stared into your bloodsoaked eyes.
I brought the long haul down.

It came from beneath, surging up and took me,
 and I danced with the revery of a thousand
ingested fairies, digested by the beast,
 the beast that beckons when we close our eyes.

I have lived for a thousand years on hate alone
I brought the long haul down.
I lived and breathed with Zarathustra,
 who took us by surprise from his mountaintop.

And Cain came to me, blistering with
 whispers that the end was near,
It came from beneath, surging up
it was so near I could smell beetle-breath,
 breaking my will to continue, killing me
... and took me.

Time itself has always been and always will be
 linear, retroactive, past-defined and
future oriented.  I have seen the shore
 of our torched Earth; I have spoke
with demons that feast upon foetid corpses,
 and they have laughed at my tears,
and have been laughing since we saw them,
 so many years ago, in that cold dark place.

I have lost my way and am forlorn;
 I thought I had a grip, just to get a grip,
but I found myself alone and walking,
 between the mirrors, between surrender and dreams
the beast that becons when we close our eyes.

The world has faded, colors have dimmed
 and it is all we can do but see
I can see the forest for the trees
ingested fairies digested by the beast.
 They say that the prickly pear, prickly pear...

In the dawn of the end, the warmth that kills--
 our dying breath, that breaks
or so they say-- do they say?
 oh say can I see through and
between the mirrors, 
between surrender and dreams.

The light, the Word, the end of the world...
 I am the beginning and the end,
the light and the word...

No comments: